Thursday 14 February 2013

This Album BLEW MY MIND: A Wizard, A True Star


As of 14th February 2013, I am listening to this album for the first time (about 90% of the way through as of writing this). My first impression is that it is bloody amazing. The constant stream of 1-2 minute songs (at least, for the first 8 songs) reminds me of a format similar to that of 'We're Only In It For The Money' by the Mothers of Invention, and with equally inventive and outlandish content! The influence of psychedelics is clear on this album, which, if nothing else, removed all barriers Todd may have previously had to sound. Each song seems to be in a genre of its own, creating a weirdly eclectic mix of motifs which ruthlessly move from one style to another with no word of warning. And yet, this is what binds the pieces of music together and makes the album so distinct! I don't know how my perceptions of this album will change with time, but for the moment anyway, it couldn't sound any sweeter.

2 comments:

  1. man, you should play more bass if you still can.
    But I dig your show too. Nice staff to read around here.
    Peace

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey man, thanks for your support. I'm still playing bass, but am unfortunately not recording anything at the moment (due to lack of quality equipment). I'll post on here though if I do.
      Cheers, Will

      Delete